Thursday, May 24, 2012

On to Rails

With the basics behind me, the next step is Rails.

As with most people, I learn best by doing. My plan for Rails, then, is to go through a tutorial and then jump right in with a project. As I said in an earlier post, I have a couple projects I'm thinking about (and will describe in more detail in a future post) and by the time I finish the tutorial I'll have selected one to move forward with.

But, first things first. No reason not to go straight to the source on this - Getting Started with Ruby on Rails seemed like as good a place as any to get familiar with the Rails framework, so that's where I started.

One note on setting up the development environment. I really wanted to make use of mySQL and not SQLite that comes with the default RoR installer. The trick to this was that I'm working on a Windows 7 (64bit) machine and the support for this combination was spotty. In case you're attempting the same, I got most of my answers from this Stackoverflow Thread.

1 comment:

  1. I found this really useful when I was playing around with Rails: http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-on-rails-tutorial-book

    ReplyDelete